Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Writing, Reading, Listening

I'm working on my midterm essay for my Victorian poetry class and I want to pull my hair out. Last year when I was writing my lectures/papers for my adult ed lit classes it was so much easier. I guess it was because I was dealing with subject matter that I had dealt with in the past. Now I find myself second guessing myself and scrutinizing over word choice, structure, EVERYTHING. It also doesn't help that the required length of the paper isn't really that long (five pages). I'm so used to writing 10-15 page papers.

When I'm not reading stuff for school, I've been reading Umberto Eco's The History of Beauty. It is a truly wonderful book. Part coffee table book, part commentary on what we see as being beautiful. The art work is great and I love the integration of popular culture and mass media. The book has been gathering dust on my book shelf since I bought it last Christmas. I'm glad I'm finally getting a chance to read it.

As usual, I've been listening to quite a few remixes lately. To me remixers are like literary critics. G. Wilson Knight wrote that literary interpretation is like "moving a delicate piece of furniture or machinery. Carry it bodily across and bits will be broken off. It must be carefully taken to pieces and rebuilt." A good remixer should present a solid interpretation of the song so it illuminates the original version . Remixes I've been listening to are:

"Precious" (Sasha’s Spooky Mix) - Depeche Mode
"From the Inside" (Junior Vasquez Mix) - Gioia Bruno
"Tribulations" (Tiga's Out Of The Trance Closet Mix) - LCD Soundsystem
"Guilt is a Useless Emotion" (Mac Quayle Vocal mix) - New Order

No comments: